St Andrew's Catford The Church of England

St Andrew the Apostle

Sandhurst Rd, Catford, SE6 1XD

The Clerestory Windows

High along the north side of the chancel, above the Lady Chapel, are to be found three of the four clerestory windows shown here. The fourth (the Ambrose window) is at the same height, on the south side of the chancel.

Simeon (Nunc Dimittis) clerestory windowMary clerestory windowSt Ambrose clerestory windowHenry Purcell clerestory window

These windows depict Simeon, the Madonna, St Ambrose and Henry Purcell. All were designed by Martin Travers.

The Ambrose and Madonna (Magnificat) windows were given by Archdeacon Philpott (the first vicar of St Andrew's) and dedicated in 1933.

The Simeon (Nunc Dimittis) window was given in memory of William Bull, sacristan, who died in 1958 and was dedicated in 1961.

The Purcell window was given as recently as 1998 by Jack and Dorothy Bloomfield in thanksgiving for 50 years of happy marriage.

Martin Travers also designed a fifth window depicting Zacharias, but to date this has not been installed.

 

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2017 St Andrew's Church, Catford
Site last updated: 06 Aug 2017Site designed by Simeon Dawes