St Andrew's Catford The Church of England

St Andrew the Apostle

Sandhurst Rd, Catford, SE6 1XD

History

St Andrews interiorOur Church stands on the S. German’s Estate built by Cameron Corbett at the turn of the 19th century.

The first building on this site was what is currently being used as the parish hall; work started in 1899 and it was opened as a temporary mission church by the Bishop of Southwark on the 31st July 1900.

Work started on the main church building in the autumn of 1903 with the foundation stone being laid on the 23rd January 1904 by the Bishop of Southwark.

The Church of St Andrew the Apostle was consecrated on the 28th October 1904 and without fittings was completed for under £10,000 and at that time is was said could seat 930 people.

In March 1905 St Andrew’s was constituted as a separate parish, and in May the parish became part of the new Diocese of Southwark, following the division of the Diocese of Rochester.

The building was built and paid for in 4 years!

Electricity

The installation of electric light is recorded in July 1912 the following are quotes from that time:

“To be able to reduce the amount of light at will at certain times during the service, to be able to switch on light at any time instead of having to light gas half an hour at least before the service begins, to be free from the enormous heat that we get in late summer and autumn from the large incandescent burners makes it all worthwhile”

“What is being aimed at is to get a good reading light without the glare, which tries so many eyes, and shall we say the incandescent complexions”

During 1920 the War Memorial was erected outside the west end of the church at the same time, the stained glass east window was being planned as a war memorial. In May 1920 the PCC decided to ask the artist Martin Travers, who had outlined several schemes to submit a coloured drawing of the proposed window.

The design was accepted and the work was completed at a cost of £1100 in time for dedication on Palm Sunday 1921.

References to the beauty of our church artefacts continued to appear in the Church magazine. The Processional Cross, designed by the church architect Mr PA Robson, was considered a fine example of modern art. In 1922 it was sent by request to the Exhibition of Ecclesiastical Art held in Sheffield in connection with the Church Congress, where it was much admired.

In October 1927 a fund for the completion of the chancel was announced. The work comprised rendering the east wall in stone colour, inserting stained glass into the two lancet windows and replacing the temporary reredos with a permanent one. The lancet windows were installed during the next two years and the reredos became the subject of a silver jubilee anniversary appeal in 1929. The reredos was completed in June 1930 and was displayed at the Exhibition of Ecclesiastical Art in Caxton Hall prior to its dedication on the 16th October 1930.

In the event, this work (which in total cost nearly £900) did not complete the decoration of the chancel. In December 193 an offer was made to replace some of the clerestory windows with stained glass to plans prepared by Martin Travers, this work carried on over time, the latest being installed in 1998. Only one window now remains clear glazed.

St Andrews, Catford fontFont

The font was given to the church by the children and young people of the parish and was installed in April 1907.The choir stalls of oak and walnut were installed for whit Sunday. The chancel screen was placed in position for the anniversary of the consecration in 1907

The altarAltar

The present altar – a gift from two worshippers was dedicated on Easter Eve 1909 so that it could be used on Easter Day.

More information

A booklet celebrating the first 100 years of St Andrews church and containing many more details of the current building and the Mission church which preceded it is available to purchase. Please ask at the church for details.

 

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2017 St Andrew's Church, Catford
Site last updated: 06 Aug 2017Site designed by Simeon Dawes