St Andrew's Catford The Church of England

St Andrew the Apostle

Sandhurst Rd, Catford, SE6 1XD

Music

Music plays an important part in our worship and is largely traditional in style with hymns accompanied by the organ. A Eucharistic setting, suitable for congregational singing, is used.

The choir

We have a small, robed four-part (SATB) choir of about ten voices, who lead the congregation in the singing of the hymns and the service setting. A mixture of unison singing and four-part harmony is used as appropriate. To enhance the worship, on many Sundays the choir sings a motet during the administration of the communion.

The choir plays a more prominent and extensive role during special seasons and on festival occasions, for example, in Advent, Christmas, Passiontide and Easter.

New members of the choir are welcome. Choir practices are held on Friday evenings at 7.45 pm – 9.15 pm. There are no practices in August.

Anyone interested in joining the choir should talk to the Director of Music, Nick Bland.

The Hunter organ at St Andrews CatfordThe Organ

Description of the organ

The organ, which is sited in a chamber behind the south choir aisle, was built by Alfred Hunter and Son of Clapham in 1907 – 08 and was dedicated on 9 January 1908.  The oak case was added in 1912/13.  The organ has three manuals (Great, Swell and Choir) and pedals with 29 speaking stops. The action is tubular pneumatic with mechanical pedal couplers. The Choir organ is unenclosed.  The swell ranks are provided with an extra octave at the top to allow the octave coupler to operate throughout the whole range of the manual.

The original tonal scheme, pipework and action of the organ remain in place with no significant changes apart from provision of an extra coupler and minor non-tonal alterations made in the 1950’s to improve player convenience. The organ is regarded as a fine instrument of exceptional tonal quality, and an outstanding example of Hunter’s work. The organ was comprehensively restored by Messrs. Nicholson & Co. of Worcester during the autumn of 2008 after several years out of use due to age-related deterioration and dirt. It was brought back into use at Christmas 2008 and the first public buy cialis australia on recital on the restored instrument was given by Stephen Disley, Assistant Organist of Southwark Cathedral, on 20th June 2009.

For anyone interested in the technical details, the full specification of our organ is also available as part of this web site.

 

 

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2017 St Andrew's Church, Catford
Site last updated: 06 Aug 2017Site designed by Simeon Dawes