St Andrew's Catford The Church of England

St Andrew the Apostle

Sandhurst Rd, Catford, SE6 1XD

Windows

The 11 stained glass windows, are considered by experts to be exceptionally fine, all to the original designs of Martin Travers (1886-1948) with the exception of the east window of the Lady Chapel.

The last window to be installed, that of Henry Purcell, was installed in 1998. The windows are of fine quality in design and in colour and enhance the grandeur of the Church’s interior as the architect intended.

St Andrews Catford, east windowThe east window in the chancel, depicting our Lord, enthroned in the City of God, attended by two processions of Saints and with a soldier and sailor of the First World War, kneeling at the bottom left and right of the window respectively. Click on the image here to see a larger version, complete with a description of the various elements included in this magnificent window.

The east window is itself flanked by two lancet windows depicting the Archangels Michael and Raphael. More information about these windows can also be found by clicking on the image of the east window shown here.

The north side of the Chancel, above the Lady Chapel, is decorated with a set of four clerestory windows, also featuring designs by Martin Travers. These can be seen by clicking on the link in the navigation bar to the left of this page, or by following this link to the clerestory windows.

 

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2017 St Andrew's Church, Catford
Site last updated: 06 Aug 2017Site designed by Simeon Dawes